Absolutely Almond Slices
If like me you love almonds and marzipan then you will definitely love these! My friend introduced them to me – she was so adamant that I should try them that she cooked me some. I was sold. The recipe on paper is super easy, but I will warn you that rolling out the marzipan requires some elbow grease; I must admit that I nearly gave up – but believe me it’s worth it! They are super sweet so are best cut into small slices (although I ate many more than one!). They are fantastic with an espresso or a strong cup of tea…
250g butter, melted
350g ground almonds
225g caster sugar
4 teaspoons almond extract
Zest of orange (optional)
50g flaked almonds
(Baking tin – 30 x 23cm, lined with baking parchment)
- Knead the marzipan to soften it. Then roll it between two pieces of baking parchment; I found that starting off this way was easiest and then finished rolling without the top sheet of parchment. Roll to a rectangle that will fit the baking tin.
- Put the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add the ground almonds, sugar and almond extract and then add the melted butter. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until smooth and creamy. Add the grated orange zest if using and mix well.
- Pour half of the mixture into the prepared baking tin and smooth over with a palette knife. Gently place the rolled-out marzipan on top then pour over the remaining mixture, smoothing it over, taking care to cover all of the marzipan.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 180’c fan, for 30 minutes until a light golden colour.
- Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into small slices. (Keeps for up to five days in an airtight tin).