Let’s Start Cooking!…
Welcome to Menu Mistress…
I love cookbooks and have an extensive collection! The idea of Menu Mistress is to share recipes from these books, that I have tried and tested. All you have to do is add the ingredients to your shopping list and follow the recipes, thus injecting some fresh flavours into your home cooking. This blog is essentially for people who love food but don’t have the time, energy or patience to find that winning recipe – that’s the job of Menu Mistress!…
(Recipes are updated every two weeks on a Wednesday, with an extra ‘Tuesday Treat’ on alternate weeks – sign up at the bottom of the page to receive a weekly reminder!)
Tuesday Treat: Tuesday 12th January 2021
Click here to go straight to this weeks Recipes
Orange Almond Cake (Gluten Free!)
When my good friend, Sophie, first gave me this recipe, I was hesitant to try it, as being a self-confessed ‘lazy cook’ when I discovered that I had to boil the oranges for an hour before even starting the recipe, I wasn’t sold on it. But, fortunately she insisted that it was worth the effort… and she was definitely right, this is one of the most moist orange cakes I have tasted – it truly is delicious. In fact, it is also very easy, the boiling of the oranges is something that pretty much takes care of itself and to make the cake it’s simply a matter of pureeing the oranges in a food processor, adding them to the whisked eggs and sugar, and stirring in the other ingredients – done!…Try it!…
2 seedless oranges
250g caster sugar
250g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g flaked almonds
2 tablespoons icing sugar
(To serve: double cream lightly whipped with a touch vanilla paste)
A 22cm springform tin: grease and line the base and sides
- Wash the oranges and cut off the ends (discard), place the oranges into a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Boil for 2 hours (topping up with water as required).
- Remove the oranges from the water and allow to cool completely before cutting into pieces and pureeing in a food processor until completely smooth.
- Use an electric whisk to beat the eggs and caster sugar in a large bowl until pale and frothy.
- Add the orange puree, stir through, then add the ground almonds and baking powder, and combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top of the cake.
- Place in a preheated oven, 160’c, and bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve with a dollop of cream (flavoured with a touch of vanilla paste).
Tunes to Cook to….what I’ve been listening to in my kitchen!….Click on this link to listen to my playlists (listen without judgement – it’s just a bit of fun!)
Any feedback, or recipe ideas? Feel free to contact me!…or leave your comments at the very bottom of this page.
Have you made one of the recipes from Menu Mistress? Why not take a photo and share it on Instagram, please mention @menumistress or tag menumistress – it would make my day!!
A little bit of housekeeping…
To find all the recipes from my blogs go to the Recipes page, where there is a link to print them off.
Most of the recipes on Menu Mistress are courtesy of the creativity of cookery book writers, old and new. The recipes are an ‘amuse-bouche’ for those available in the books. Please go to my Cookbooks page for more information.
‘Staple Side Dishes’ – when you see this beside a recipe, it indicates that I have previously published this side dish on Menu Mistress. I have re-published it so that you don’t have to trawl through my old recipe blogs to find it – Menu Mistress is about making your life in the kitchen easier!
Gluten Free – I am gluten free, so most of my recipes are gluten free, although I must stress that if you have an allergy please double check all ingredients. If flour is used you can substitute it with gluten free flour and likewise with other ingredients such as pasta or soy sauce, you can use gluten free options.
Sign up to receive emails when new recipes are added…
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Instagram
Find me on Pinterest