Lemon Surprises – with Gluten Free Option! (Serves 4)
Many of you will be familiar with ‘Lemon Surprise Pudding’, it’s one of those gratifying recipes which you put in the oven as a batter and it comes out not only as a soft sponge, but miraculously with a pool of lemony sauce underneath! You may already have a recipe for it, but I urge you to try this one, as the sponge really is the lightest that I have come across! The addition of lemon thyme is optional, it slightly lifts the flavours and, of course, makes a lovely decoration!
I like to make this dessert in individual bowls or ramekins, but you can make it in one dish.
45g soft butter
150g caster sugar
2 lemons, finely grated zest & juiced
2 eggs, separated
50g self-raising flour (gluten free if required – I use Doves)
4 sprigs lemon thyme (optional)
Icing sugar, for dusting
Double cream to serve
- Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and 100g of the caster sugar with the lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks. Gradually add the milk, lemon juice and flour in turns, mixing well between each addition to make a smooth batter.
- Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and whisk with the remaining 50g caster sugar to soft peaks, add the picked leaves from two sprigs of thyme, then gently fold through the batter.
- Divide the batter among four individual bowls/ramekins with the capacity for about 175ml or put in one dish. Place in a roasting tin, lined with a tea towel (this will stop them slipping), and pour in enough boiling water to come about halfway up the sides of the ramekins or dish.
- Carefully transfer to a preheated oven, 160’c fan, and bake for 20 minutes or until golden on top and springy to touch. Turn the oven off and let the puddings rest in the oven for another 20 minutes, so the custard firms slightly.
- Decorate with the remaining thyme sprigs, dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.
3 thoughts on “Tuesday Treat”
I’ve never had lemon pudding before, but it looks so delicious! 🙂 I’ll have to try it out sometime soon… :). Btw, your pictures look so amazing!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you Tanvi…I just noticed your message…do try it, such a lovely light dessert!
LikeLiked by 1 person