Chocolate Gourmandise (Gluten Free!)
I thought that this week, as it’s Valentine’s Day at the end of the week, that I would share a little ‘chocolate love’… ‘Chocolate Gourmandise’ is one of those desserts that everyone, yes, everyone loves! On first appearance it seems to be a little sponge in a cup, but when you dip your spoon into it, you get the wonderful surprise of a molten chocolate centre. What really will steal your heart, is that this recipe, is not only delicious but incredibly easy to make, and so, it is not only the perfect midweek family treat, but also the perfect dessert to end a dinner party (remember those?!..). It must be baked at the very last minute, but can be prepared several hours in advance. And the other good news is that, it works perfectly well with gluten free plain flour (I use Doves). This recipe is from a cookbook which I have had for over 20 years, ‘Patricia Wells at Home in the Provence’. Whilst there are other recipes in this book that I have enjoyed, it always naturally falls open onto the page for Chocolate Gourmandise (with all its cooking stains)!
Watch the video of this dessert being made here!
125g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I use Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate)
3 large eggs
150g caster sugar
35 g plain flour (gluten free if required – I use ‘Doves’)
Butter and flour for preparing the ramekins
(you will also need 4 small ramekins with 150ml capacity)
- Place the chocolate with the butter in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, stir until melted.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar and flour, mixing just to blend.
- Gradually whisk in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Leave the mixture to rest for an hour, to allow the flavours to mellow.
- Generously butter and flour the ramekins. Place on a baking sheet. Spoon the mixture into the ramekins.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 200’c fan, for 12-14 minutes, they should be still wobbly.
- Transfer the ramekins to sit on dessert plates and serve immediately.