‘Flapjack’ Plum Crumble
This comforting crumble has sophisticated flavours – the combination of plums with orange and a touch of cinnamon, beautifully cuts the sweetness of the oat crumble. Serve it with a dollop of cream, custard or a good quality vanilla ice-cream.
The great news is, is that it’s completely gluten free! As you may know, I am gluten free, and so finding ‘carbohydrate’ comforting desserts can be difficult, as I can’t eat wheat. A traditional crumble calls for flour, so it has been some years since I have been able to enjoy this English pudding in the traditional sense, but over the years I have perfected this ‘flapjack crumble’ by combining various recipes for toppings and fillings. Even if you don’t need to eat gluten free, I think that it will become your new favourite crumble!!…
This recipe is perfect for the plums we get in our supermarkets during the winter months, those that never seem to ripen but are perfect for baking with. The oats are best ‘toasted’ before making the topping, this makes their flavour nuttier, so it is worth doing if you have the time.
For the Crumble:
250g porridge oats
100g light muscovado sugar
100g golden syrup
For the Plum Filling:
800-900g plums, cut in half, stones removed
1 large orange, zested and juiced
50g light muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Firstly, spread the oats on a large baking tray and bake in a preheated oven, 150’c fan, for 10-15 minutes, stirring once, until they are toasted and slightly golden.
- For the topping: melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a large saucepan (big enough to take the oats) over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the toasted oats and stir to combine.
- Spread the plums out in a baking dish, cut side up – they should fit snuggly into the dish, covering the base completely. Spoon the orange juice over them.
- Mix together the orange zest and cinnamon with the sugar (50g), sprinkle over the plums.
- Spread the oat ‘flapjack’ mixture evenly over the plums. Place in a preheated oven, 180’c, for 30-35 minutes until the crumble is golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with a dollop of cream, custard or vanilla ice-cream – Delicious!!